Today is the day we received our first brief! Our task? To create an A3 poster using the skills from the past weeks’ lectures and workshops including four or more of the following techniques:
After painstakingly deciding on a word from the museum project, I finally settled on the theme of ‘Comfort’. We were encouraged to think of a vast range of ideas before putting any ideas into a final layout, by using mind maps and small, quickly drawn sketches. This allowed me to not get tied down to any one idea before they had all been explored.
I began by listing all the words that in my opinion portrayed comfort, I started off quite literal with the words but then started to think outside the box by questioning what is meant by the word comfort: ‘to soothe in time of affliction or distress’. Maybe by showing the other side of comfort and representing the word almost as a narrative it would create more of an impact. With this in mind, I considered the idea of creating the scene of comfort using two characters hugging; one filled with a collage of comforting objects.
After a few more days to generate ideas, we had a layout review session to talk about our work with our course mates. We had the opportunity to look around and interpret our groups briefs, seeing how other people had documented their ideas was so useful and will help me in future projects. I found the session really helpful as people were really positive about the work but were still able to make critical points to help with the development of ideas. I was more comfortable than I thought talking about my own work, normally the thought terrifies me! However, I felt passionate about what I had worked on and wanted to share my thoughts with the group and hear what they had to say about it.
To create the collage section of my final poster, I scanned all of my sketch drawings into photoshop to edit and adjust the colour and contrast. I used warm tonal colours of purples and pinks because to me, that is what I feel when I think of comfort. There were suggestions of using reds however I felt the colours would be quite harsh and fiery rather than cosy and warm. I used the eraser tool to cut out the section of image I wanted to collage within and placed the collage within. By editing the photograph to black and white, it enabled the main theme of comfort (portrayed by the hugging figure) to stand out boldly. I was really happy with my outcome and thought it fit the brief well whilst not being to overpowering and still maintaining a simplistic layout.